A 2-wheeled electric board that has taken millennials by storm. Hoverboards are not only exciting pieces of technology but they also provide safer and more environmental transport means; riding these two-wheeled devices can be an incredibly rewarding experience.
A hoverboard, also known as a self-balancing scooter, is a personal transportation device that operates on two wheels and is powered by lithium-ion batteries. The hoverboard is designed to be controlled by shifting your body weight forward, backward, or sideways, which creates movement. The device’s sensors detect the movements and adjust the speed and direction of the hoverboard, making it a fun and efficient way to travel.
Hoverboards were first introduced to the market in 2014 and became a viral sensation in a short amount of time. They quickly became a beloved item due to their portability, affordability, and ease of use. However, the increased demand led to a rise in the number of cheaply made and poorly designed hoverboards flooding the market. As a result, many hoverboard manufacturers had to recall their products due to safety issues.
What are Hoverboards made of?
Hoverboards are one of the coolest inventions of modern technology. They offer an exciting and fun way to commute and can make your daily life a little bit more exciting. But have you ever wondered what hoverboards are made of?
- The outer framework: Hoverboards’ outer framework is made from a mix of materials such as hard plastic, aluminum, and carbon fiber to create a durable and sturdy body. The plastic used provides resistance against moisture or environmental factors, aluminum increases the strength and integrity of the framework. Carbon fiber, on the other hand, is lightweight yet robust, which makes it perfect for hoverboards. Manufacturers also use anti-slip materials to prevent their riders from slipping while gliding down the street.
- The Wheels and Chassis: The wheels and chassis of the hoverboard are made from a combination of hard rubber and aluminum. The rubber provides grip on the road surface, while the aluminum makes it strong enough to resist wear and tear. The hoverboard chassis, on the other hand, is made of strong plastic to ensure durability and the perfect fit.
- The Gyroscope and Sensor Technology: The heart of every hoverboard is the gyroscope and sensor technology. The gyroscope is responsible for maintaining balance, while the sensor technology tracks the rider’s movements. The hoverboard’s gyroscope is made of a compact chip and other electronic components that ensure the stability and balance of the board. The sensor technology is an essential part of the hoverboard as it provides information about the rider’s movements to the gyroscope, enabling it to adjust and maintain balance.
- Lithium-ion battery: The lithium-ion battery powers the hoverboard and is a vital component of the device. The battery is charged through a charger that plugs into a standard power outlet. The battery’s capacity varies depending on the model, but it usually takes 2-4 hours to charge fully and can power the device for 8-10 miles. The lithium-ion battery used in hoverboards requires some maintenance, and users need to be careful not to overcharge it to avoid damaging the device.
- The motors: The motors are the most critical component of hoverboards and come in two types; hub motors and in-wheel motors. The hub motors are installed in the center of the board and provide excellent stability and ride comfort. The in-wheel motors, on the other hand, are small yet powerful and sit inside the wheels. Both types of motors are designed to deliver high levels of speed and are efficient enough to power the hoverboard over long distances.
Things to consider while buying a hoverboard
Before buying a hoverboard, there are a couple of crucial things to consider, such as the quality, battery life, and safety features. A high-quality hoverboard should have durable wheels, a sturdy frame, and reliable sensors. The battery life is also another important factor to consider since it is the primary power source for the device. Safety features such as anti-slip foot mats and LED lights are also important to help make the device safe to ride.
Hoverboards are also eco-friendly, making them a suitable choice for commuting short distances. Unlike cars, they do not produce exhaust fumes, so they are ideal for reducing air pollution in crowded cities. Additionally, they are easy to park since they only require minimal space, are less time-consuming, and don’t require you to pay for parking fees.
In conclusion, hoverboards have revolutionized the way people move around, serving as a fun and practical way to commute. Their ease of use, portability, and eco-friendliness continue to make them a popular mode of transport. When deciding to purchase a hoverboard, it’s important to consider its quality, battery life, and safety features to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride. Let’s embrace this exciting technological marvel and enjoy the future of personal transportation.
Read out our more articles.
Q: What is the weight limit for a hoverboard?
A: The weight limit of a hoverboard varies based on the model and its design characteristics. Children’s hoverboards usually support up to 120 lbs, whereas adult hoverboards can handle up to 420 lbs.
Q: Are there different types of hoverboards?
A: Hoverboards encompass different types of vehicles with different wheel configurations ranging from one to four, and they also vary in terms of handles. While most people associate hoverboards with the two-wheeled version where you stand on both legs next to each other, there are actually multiple versions.
Q: What is the hoverboard used for?
A: A hoverboard, also known as a levitating board, is a form of personal transportation that has gained popularity due to its depiction in science-fiction movies such as Back to the Future Part II. Despite several attempts, a fully functioning hoverboard is yet to be invented.
Q: What makes a hoverboard fly?
A: Hover engines, housing electrically charged magnets or electromagnets, use an inductor that generates a potent magnetic field. Once the strength of the magnetic field reaches a certain level, the board will levitate in the air.
Q: How do hoverboards stop?
A: To return to an upright position, gradually lean back. Leaning back too far can cause you to move backward or fall, so exercise caution. As your tilt decreases, your speed will reduce. Once slowed to a stop, step off the back of your board.